Friday, October 17, 2014

for Pop

My cousin, Erin, said it best, "Today is the happiest day he's ever known. He's face to face with the One he loves the most."
She's right.  Pop has never seen a more exciting day.




I am typing from his computer, at his desk, in his study.  A place where books upon books have taught him and the Henry Ford quote on the wall reads, "Anyone who stops learning is old, whether 20 or 90."  He knew and lived the bible and if you asked him a question, he had a reputable answer. He was the best teacher. He devoted his life to discipleship and lead people to Christ from the altar. If he was at home he was studying the Bible from this desk. Here are his keepsakes, old photographs, pictures of his family. This room is a tribute to him in itself and I am so happy to be here on this beautiful October day.

Pop overcame adversity as a child, losing his mother and father when he was young, but he went on to college and seminary and made a way for himself.  I loved hearing him tell those stories.


He was the best story teller. And he had the cutest sayings.



Pop taught me how to bake a homemade pecan pie with a homemade crust.  It was our favorite activity.




He made the most amazing oatmeal cookies and would carry them by the bags to hand out when we went on vacation.


When I was in elementary school, he hand built me a dollhouse on the back patio of his home in North Little Rock.  He painted it, and then Mimi and I decorated it with the wallpaper in their kitchen and added furniture.











I grew up going to camp and every single day of the two weeks, I would recieve a typed letter and a $1 bill telling me what he was up to and insisting I "have a Coke on him."


When he smiled, it was contagious.  When he spoke, it was either wise, or absolutely hilarious.  He gave my brother his sense of humor.



I have his voicemails where he called on all occasions to congratulate me or just say he was thinking about me. When I called he'd answer, "yello?"


He baptized me and officiated my cousin's weddings.

Everyone who knew him, loved him, and had great things to say about him.  He knew it, yet always answered compliments with the upmost humility.

He walked three miles a day.






The older he got the more he would fall asleep at random times, but while we were all asleep at the symphony, he was wide awake, hanging onto every note.  The day he was the guest director at the symphony was one of his favorite days ever.  I'll never forget it.


He loved to watch the hummingbirds from the breakfast table. His breakfast was just oh my word good.


Every time I would walk in his study he had classical music playing in the background.  When I sang a solo at church, he cried.


His hands were so smooth, and his hair so soft.  He gave the warmest hugs and had the softest touch.


He whistled Christmas carols all year long, everywhere he went.


He radiated joy.


His favorite place to be was at the ocean, watching the ships and the waves.  Fried shrimp was a must at every meal.


He loved his wife and cherished her the most.  He was by her side every waking moment. He valued what mattered most.  -- One moment I will never forget was when he was in the hospital last week, hanging on to life by a thread.  He had word salad and was not able to speak, he would only nod yes or no while he laid there resting with his eyes always shut.  That being said, every single time Mimi left his side to go to the Cafeteria, or the "little girl's room" (as he called it), he would begin to attempt climbing over the side of his bed, wanting to accompany her more than anything.









Last night, the most vibrant yellow pink red orange purple blue sunset concluded the last day of his life on Earth and opened the gate to eternity.







He is so happy so we can't miss him too much, but we are assured that we will be with him before we can blink.


I love you, Jerre Rose. See you soon.


"Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand.


You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will recieve me to glory.


Whom have I in Heaven but You?


And there is nothing on Earth that I desire besides You.


My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!